Thursday, January 28, 2016

Rejection

After submitting my story to a couple of well known magazines, I felt the pang of rejection. Sure, rejection is normal for any artist: singer, musician, actors, painters, illustrators, and even writers. Like I said before, I had never experienced it as a writer. That is, I have never experienced rejection of any of my art, or not that I can remember.


You see, when I grew up I wrote for my own gratification. Well, you can imagine what gratifies a young boy. I also drew in pencil. I had more of a passion for drawing than I did for writing. Part of me wanted to become an artist as a career. When I learned that there was no money in art, I got disillusioned and pursued a technical career. My best works were always in black and white.


In the Air Force, I found out that I was color blind. That made sense to me since I preferred to work in black and white mediums. As I worked and lived life, I realized how art is not just drawing. It can be a lot of things. Then the writer inside of me started to quicken. I was doing a lot of Biblical studies then and wrote down things constantly. Years later, after I found my lovely wife, I started to write fiction just to see if I could. I didn't stop. It’s been 13 years.


In the past year and with the help of the St Louis Writers Guild, I was able to increase the quality of my writing. I still have a ways to go, but it's coming along nicely. Of course the plan is to become a professional writer to one degree or another. For me, that means writing novels and short stories.

So these rejections are a part of the process, the process of growing as a writer. Therefore, I keep on writing.